Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 Update:

THE FOLLOWING IS A MESSAGE FROM MATT~
Sorry for the lag on this update, but things have been busy. Rehab is going well and small gains are realized everyday. It’s a slow and hard process, but good nonetheless. Triceps are gaining strength, but still have a long ways to go. I'm also getting more time in the standing stand (machine that moves my body into a standing position), which is exciting. My bladder has started relieving itself, which has been both inconvenient and exciting at the same time. It’s exciting because it could provide more convenient options for bladder control down the road. I have a Urodynamics test scheduled for Friday so keep your fingers crossed. Oh, I also get my very first enema...the fun never stops.

The Shasta premiere was a huge success! Thanks to everyone who helped me get there and thanks to all who made it down to Shasta Park for the event. There even road bikers who rode 100 miles round trip to be there. Getting down to Shasta was quite the process. First, it took a few people to get me from my wheelchair and into Beth's car. Then, it took a few more people to load my wheelchair into Dustin's van. After figuring this all out, we were finally off to Shasta City, CA! My friend Isaac rode with Beth and I. Isaac is a nurse and also helped recline me in the passenger seat to avoid any skin breakdown. When we arrived, several of my buddies carefully transferred me from the car and back into my wheelchair. It was a pretty cool being on the receiving end of so much love from all my friends! It was so good to get out and the movie was great. Nice work Shon and thanks!

This past weekend, about 70 people in Cincinnati Ohio had a benefit for me at a bar called Monk’s Cove. The benefit was organized by Susan Nolan (Beth’s sister), Joe Crace and the rest of the Nolan family. Aside from Susan and Joe, I have never met the 70 people who attended this event. However, many of them are on this email group and I am blown away by their support and love for a complete stranger. They raised over $1400 during this Happy Hour benefit. I saw photos of the night and it looked like a great time. I’ve never been to Cincinnati, but I have a feeling that they know how to have a good time and sure are a generous group of folks. Thank you Nolan Family and thank you CINCINNATI (I won’t fault you for being Bengal’s fans)!!!

I've been reflecting on the last 6 weeks and all I can say is WOW! The only negative thing is the fact that I'm paralyzed. Never in my life have I felt so much love or witnessed such an outpouring of love. From my boys in Seattle who got me a Kindle (a electronic device that I can download books to so I can read) and who have visited me several times; to the folks in Scott Valley who have brought food and shown their support; to the folks in Cincinnati who threw a fundraiser for someone they have never met before; to my friends in Rogue Valley who have done so much that I can't even begin to list it…I’m truly amazed and overwhelmed. So, from the most sincere part of my heart~ THANK YOU! I would NOT have made it this far without all of YOU!

Love, Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment